Coleman Elementary School is a neighborhood school with a tradition of family support and involvement. The school balances a strong focus on academic achievement with a school environment that supports individualized attention for each child, a commitment to the arts, and active PTA support.
Coleman enjoys a diverse student population. To support its students and families, Coleman offers child care, an after-school tutorial, enrichment classes and a full range of family support services. It is the school's goal to empower students with the academic and intellectual skills necessary for success.
The positive school culture, along with the brand new facility, make Coleman an outstanding school of choice for many San Rafael children and their families.
In Fall of 2005 Coleman School was the first entirely new public school to be built in Marin County in many decades. In Fall of 2006, Bahia Vista became the newest.
Prior to that in San Rafael, the last new public schools were constructed in the mid 1960’s:
1966 Bahia Vista Elementary
1961 Laurel Dell Elementary
1965 Miller Creek Middle
1960 Terra Linda High
1964 Glenwood Elementary
The William T. Coleman School has a long history in the Dominican neighborhood. The original Coleman School opened in 1910 at the corner of Grand Avenue and Linden Lane. The second Coleman School opened in 1941 at 150 Rafael Drive. The new Coleman School is located on the same site as the most recent previous school, but the building has been re-sited so that its entrance is at 800 Belle Avenue. The school is named for William Tell Coleman, one of San Rafael’s most influential, founding citizens.